Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Out of the Gate, Everything is A-O-K

After only three days since my first weigh-in, everything is on track.  MY FIRST GOAL:  Since skipping breakfast has always been my worst sin, I have been forcing myself to eat something for breakfast every day.  (I love Total cereal)

I'm snacking healthfully - fresh fruit and veggies, yogurt, a handful of nuts, or a hard-boiled egg.  I do not go two hours without SOMETHING to eat, usually 100 calories or so.  My meals have totally eliminated bad carbs and replaced them with salads and other veggies.  I love Balsamic vinegar and EVOO, so I splash just enough on salads to add some flavor.  No fried ANYTHING, especially french fried potatoes.  My starch is mostly brown rice so far, and a small amount of couscous.  No rolls or bread, although I plan to make my "sandwiches" with whole grain wraps.

After work, I stop in the gym and walk briskly for an hour - 4 miles on the treadmill.  I plan to keep this up through the end of this month, then speed it up to alternating run / walk.  If I feel good enough, I will add in some strength training.  My initial target from exercising is to lose some weight quickly - perhaps 10 or 15 pounds to give myself more energy before really cranking things up.

I set up a spreadsheet "on the cloud" so I can fill it in every day from wherever I may be.  So far, I include my weight each morning and ongoing amounts of weight lost and percentage of weight lost.  Columns are included to track my miles, list my physical activity (house chores count if they are rigorous enough), and even list how healthy I ate that day.  That column is really meant to list foods I may occasionally "sin" with.  So far, a nightly glass of red wine is my only indulgence, but if I treat myself to something not-so-healthy, it will go on the list.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home