Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

EAT ! Here's what I eat and the calories of each item

To all of my new friends, here is an encouraging food tip:  EAT!  Don't put your body in "fat storing mode" as I had done in my previous life.  The following (in no particular order) is a list of some of the goodies I have been eating this week and their estimated calorie count.  I have already lost about 6 or 7 pounds and have not been hungry yet...

Hard-boiled egg (75 calories)
Yogurt - Dannon Fruit on the Bottom (140 calories)
Chicken Breast - 5 oz grilled (240 calories)
Salmon - 6 oz grilled (280 calories)
Total cereal - 1 oz bowl (100 calories) with cup of 2% milk (add 125 calories)
Banana (105 calories)
Broccoli - 1 cup (25 calories)
Cauliflower - 1 cup (25 calories)
Black Beans - 1 cup cooked and drained (225 calories)
Cottage cheese - 1 cup (215 calories)
String cheese (80 calories)
Spinach - cooked - 1 cup (41 calories)
Spinach - baby raw - 2 cups - 3 oz (25 calories)
Apple (100 calories - depends on size)
Whole wheat wrap (150 calories)
Green tea (0 calories)
Walnuts - 1/3 cup (230 calories)
Almonds - 1 oz about 24 nuts (160 calories)
Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp (120 calories)

and last but not least...
Red wine - 5 oz (125 calories)

Balsamic vinegar / sriracha sauce / tabasco sauce and other spicy or tangy seasonings have zero or near zero calories.  I avoid "fat-free" dressings because they add sugar.  Many products also have significant amounts of sodium which I avoid.  This has kept my blood pressure fairly low my entire life, even in my heavier weight days.

It takes a lot of these types of food items to exceed 1,500 to 2,000 calories in one day, depending on your target calorie intake limit.  And these are all pretty healthy, so the calories are worth it compared to the equivalent "empty" calories in doughnuts, for example.  Spread eating them throughout the day and you will be surprisingly satisfied and never hungry.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home