Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Slowing Down while Speeding Up

Now that I am running every day, my rate of weight loss is slowing down.

Why?  Lots of reasons...

I have increased food consumption to fuel my workouts.  The other day, I ate half of a roasted chicken for dinner.  Had my girlfriend not put up such a fierce fight for her half, I would have eaten the whole thing.  (NOTE TO SELF - Google: "defending against woman's fingernails")

When I do eat larger portions, I try to keep it within the confines of three conditions: (1) my larger meal occurs on a hard workout day, not on an off day, (2) the larger meal is consumed before my workout, not after, and (3) the food is still a healthy choice.

The "easy" pounds, mostly fat, have already been lost, and hopefully for good.  Although I am far from single-digit body fat percentage, there is a lot less fat on my body than just ten weeks ago.

I am eating more carbs which are consumed, then burned right away.

My current workouts are burning lots of calories per hour - more than before.  However, now that I am lighter, I have decided to shorten my daily workouts.  Instead of burning 1,200 calories in 2 hours walking, I am now burning about 1,000 calories alternating walking and running in 90 minutes.  Once my endurance increases, I will burn closer to 900 calories in 60 minutes of running.

Yippee!  More time for yard work!

Since my early progress was so significant, I am also in a position to reach all of my goals on schedule, even at a slower weight loss pace.  If my diabolical plan begins to fail, "I will dance with who brung me here".  In other words, revert to spending 2+ hours a day on the treadmill, but I doubt that will be necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home