Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On (the) Track

From the start, I had a detailed plan for this contest - a blueprint for the whole thing.  It included a target weight to reach before the start of a running program.  Reaching this intermediate goal was intended to lose a lot of fat first, in order to avoid injury when I did start running.  Plus, who can run while carrying two bowling balls worth of extra weight spread out over his body?

The running may happen as early as this weekend since I am only a pound or two away right now.

Although a former miler in high school and a two-time marathoner in my early adult years, I was far from being a star at either endeavor.  However, I still consider running to be REALLY running - like 7 or 8 minute miles.  No slow jogging for me.  Running always resulted in a great cardio workout in only about an hour, not to mention kept me in pretty good overall shape.

The bar was set high by yours truly to get back to (or close to) my old performance potential.  This is despite the naysayers who warn me of my age, and in their opinion not mine, my rickety body.

Last I checked, a funeral home was not one of the Lighten Up sponsors, so I have rejected any criticism of age or physical condition.  I still feel 25 years old, have never had any health problems or major injuries nor the need to take prescription medication.  (Alcohol is technically considered an "over the counter" remedy.)

I have absolutely no reason to believe that regaining my past physical condition is out of reach.

Now I am about to start running again - REALLY running.  This new-found fun will be two-fold:

First, with Cori's help, I plan to alter my diet to include more calories through carbs.  This will give me enough energy for these intense workouts.  I imagine my new diet will add mostly whole grain pastas and breads, or a burger with a whole wheat bun, but maybe even pizza once in a while.  I will find out more on Saturday at my assessment and after playing around in Vitabot with higher carb menus.

Second, my timeline intentionally targeted to begin running in early spring when it is light out later and the weather is warmer - much more fun than braving the elements.  I have several running course options and can't wait to run the more scenic routes.  I will miss the smells of the food court during my mall walks in the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home