Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

More Pressure? or Unfair Advantage?

After appearing in the paper last Sunday, I have been amazed at how many people, in all kinds of situations, have approached me with their compliments of my accomplishments.  Even my son recognized my name in the paper.  All these people offered their encouragement and support.  Even my son.  

Not a negative comment from anybody.  Not even from my son.  Although, he did text message a little trash-talk because he is built like I was 30 years ago.  Unless it involves mindless video games, I'm up for any of his silly challenges.

Even some of my worst enemies, my bowling team for example, offered me their support, until I bowled under average for the night.  

Nobody accused me of getting liposuction, like I thought they would.

Nobody accused me of taking steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, like I thought they would.

Nobody asked me why I was on the front page and not on the obituary page or the police blotter, like I thought they would.

So now my mind is going 100 miles per hour.  At first, I think, "I have an unfair advantage with all of this extra support."  Then, I think, "I better not let them down or I will look like the biggest doofus in the world, or at least in Lake County."

This is now huge pressure.  More than just being listed in the contest's weight chart every month.

The decision has been made: I better not let anybody down.  If I do, the biggest part of the let-down will be the part where I let myself down.

With a few long term goals set, some intermediate goals have already been reached.  Like clockwork, I have stuck to my diabolical plan all the way.  I have one number in mind.  I know what needs to be done to get to that number.  Perhaps the "one number" of other contestants will be lower than mine and I hope they reach it.  If they do, perhaps I will not take first place in the contest.  I cannot control what other contestants do, but I can wish them all the very best.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and good luck to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home