Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Obtaining Anything of Value is Not Easy

Five weeks into this contest and I'm just about where I wanted (and expected) to be.  It has been a TON of work, but worth it so far. 

The "easy" pounds have been lost.  Muscle is getting built up, but my "six-pack" still has a small keg around it.  Eating regular, healthy meals and completing a rigorous workout is getting to be the norm, not the exception, to my day.  I just need to keep this up, but...

SOME DAYS I feel a little sore because I rarely take a day off.  I need a rest, but life gets in the way.  Tough day at the office.  Lousy weather to drive through.  Home projects.  Not to mention day-to-day cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, and washing the dishes.  Chances are, another workout won't make me any more sore.  On those days, I might as well do my workout anyway.

SOME DAYS my weight isn't where I expect it to be.  On those days, I chalk that up to "I must be getting even more muscle" since muscle weighs more than fat.

SOME DAYS I am tempted to eat something that is not the best for my diet.  On those days, I think: "When I'm in REALLY good shape, an extra mile or two of running will burn that off easily".  But I'm not even to the "running" stage yet, so I forget that and plug along on the treadmill at my brisk walking pace until I am in running shape.

SOME DAYS there is actually something good on TV or there are "non-aerobic" projects to do around the house.  On those days, mindless diversions of my time can wait because there is no more important use of my time than working out these next 5 months.

I'm able to keep my drive and maintain my focus because I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Quitting is not an option.  I'm a serious player in a poker game where the stakes are 6 months of my time.  I know that I can make a better hand out of what I got so far, just through diligent diet and exercise, so I'm "all in".

In this Lighten Up poker game, if I win the game, I get to feel 30 again.  If I lose the game, I probably get to try this whole fitness/diet routine again.  No doubt, I will be older, heavier, wider, lazier, more cranky and more stiff then.  I might as well do it now and be happier with myself for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home