Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Game Plan

The short-term plan laid out in my last blog entry "Mix it Up" fell through in the respect that I neither made it to Boot Camp nor did I participate in any weight training this weekend.  Shortly after I posted it Friday, I ended up feeling really strong and did 10 miles on the treadmill.  Yes, 10 miles.  This was at a brisk walking pace and took 2-1/2 hours.

Saturday morning, I woke up early enough to go to Boot Camp, but my legs felt like rubber bands.  Instead, I spent half the day relaxing and half the day doing some chores.  One chore I will consider "weight training" because I dragged some really heavy items down to the basement.  My arms felt it when the work was done.

That night, after sticking to healthy food choices all day, I decided to reward myself and my dear, supportive girlfriend with a date.  We went to Molinari's and split a veggie pizza and a bottle of wine.  The pizza ingredients were as healthy as pizza ingredients can get, certainly not like something from a chain.  Grilled eggplant, goat cheese, roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, portobello mushrooms, herb olive oil, kalamata olives and fresh mozzarella - all on a thin, stone oven baked crust.

This was my first time visiting a restaurant since my initial weigh-in and the wine was a little more than usual for one day - 325 calories for a half-bottle.  Everything was GREAT! (Thanks, Chef Randal)  We even had two pieces of pizza left to take home since we didn't wolf it all down at once.

To keep me motivated, this kind of date will qualify as my occasional treat.  (READ: something I do maybe once a month)

Today being Super Bowl Sunday, I started out with a 9 mile walk.  I "opened" the mall at 9 am, and walked really briskly until around 11 am.  If any of you were at the mall walking, you may have recognized me by the back of my sweatshirt as I flew by.  It was difficult to keep my ankles, knees, and hips in joint the whole time at this pace.

Now for my Super Bowl Plan:  We are going to a party later today.  I plan to eat one slice of the leftover pizza with a huge salad BEFORE the party.  At the party, I will graze on the veggie trays and avoid the dips.  Chicken wings are out-of-the-question.  I will nurse a glass or two of red wine for the duration of the party and fill in with water in between.

This is about as healthy as I can do for a Super Bowl Party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home