Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Do the Math - Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

After my workout yesterday, I was thinking about how many calories I am burning.  After checking several sources of how to calculate this value, my conclusion was anywhere from 500 to 1,000 calories per workout.  This is based on my current weight, workout duration and distance traveled.  Since I know I am eating from 1,700 to 2,000 calories on an average day lately (and confirmed by Vitabot), there is only one variable left in the equation:  How much am I burning up during the part of the day when I am NOT exercising?  This is the Basal Metabolic Rate (or BMR) which is defined as:

"The rate at which energy is used by an organism at complete rest, measured in humans by the heat given off per unit time, and expressed as the calories released per kilogram of body weight or per square meter of body surface per hour." (Source:  Free Dictionary on-line)

There are numerous BMR calculators available online - from simple to complicated.  I tried several different ones on several different websites to see how consistent the results were.  A common result came out to be about 1,885 calories per day based on my current weight.

How, I can do ALL of the math:  If I can burn 1,000 calories a day, eat about 1,885 calories - which my BMR will cancel out, I will have a calorie deficit of 1,000.  A deficit of this value will burn a pound of fat every 3 and a half days -  or two pounds a week.

Remember what Jamie at LEAN said at the first weigh-in?  One pound of fat is about 3,500 calories.

This has me psyched up.  If I simply continue doing what I am currently doing for another six months, I WILL drop two pounds a week without any further changes.  Although I am eating healthy, I am never hungry.  I am working out in manageable, workout sessions that should be sustainable.  There is no way to trick the math.  The math does not lie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home