Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Friday, January 25, 2013

New Goal: 1,000 Miles

Lao-tzu, the ancient Chinese philosopher said: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

That got me thinking. [Light bulb over my head]  I've already made the first step, so why not complete the journey?

Today, I did the math.  With about 190 days in the whole contest, 1,000 miles is quite do-able.

It's just less than 590 furlongs per fortnight or in American money, an average of a little over five-and-a-quarter miles a day (5.2631578 miles per day to be as exact as my calculator will go without overflowing).

Another goal has now been set with a new column on my spreadsheet to track miles.  The tough part will be making up if I should happen to skip a day.  I guess missing a day is not an option... Come to think about it, when I was young, it wasn't an option back then, either.  I ran EVERY day.

UPDATE:  After writing this last night, I felt pretty strong, so I walked 8 miles briskly on the treadmill, getting my journey well on the way.  This took a few seconds under two hours - the time display reset after 99:59!  Although I was exhausted, this heavy workout and eating healthy is paying huge dividends.

Ignoring the heavy clothes weigh-in Saturday at 212.6 pounds, I am now under 200 pounds.  This weight loss pace won't be sustainable for too long.  These first pounds that I lost are the easy ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home