Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Plateau

Today, I feel a bit discouraged.  I feel like I have done everything right so far.  I am at a point after only about 10 days into the contest where many people would quit.

I have hit a "plateau" and here's my opinion of why:

When you are heavy, your short-term day-to-day weight stays (or appears to stay) roughly the same.  This is regardless of whether you eat an extra slice of pizza or a few more chicken wings or drink another beer.  This is the lifestyle most of us experienced just a month ago.  A comfort zone with food.  Our body metabolism had adjusted to a steady-state condition.  And a BIG steady state. (like Texas)

Now, after getting immediate and significant results in weight loss the first week, my weight has stayed the same for about 4 days straight - give or take a half-pound.  Why is this a cause of concern?  Why is this a reason to quit?

First, I have been eating so well.  Nothing bad for me.  Nothing that would make me GAIN weight.  Why aren't I losing weight faster?

Second, I have been averaging 6 miles a day on the treadmill.  My sweaty T-shirt probably weighs 5 pounds when I'm done.  Pounds should be falling off of my body every day, right?

If nothing is happening, why not just return to my comfort zone?  (After all, I do miss pizza)

Realistically, I began this program in far-from-perfect physical condition.  High body fat, extra inches where they shouldn't be, not as much energy as I should have.

Since my energy has now increased and I am not tired after my workouts anymore, I have decided to forget thinking about the pure weight loss number, at least in the short term.  Continue to plug along on my plans with both diet and exercise and the weight number should drop.

Let's see if my sinister, diabolical experiment of simple patience works... [wrings hands]



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home