Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Frequency of Weighing

To kill some time while I work my plan of the same workouts and the same diet for the rest of the month, I would like to pass along something I have found to be helpful so far.  (For me, at least)

WARNING:  Some of what I believe contradicts what most (or perhaps all) fitness experts believe.  In my humble opinion, my view of this topic has its merits.  At least it seems to be working for me.

Today's topic is: "Frequency of Weighing".

I have a digital scale that measures to within 0.2 pounds.  I have weighed myself every morning for years, right before I take my shower, even when I was in my "larger body" days.  No health expert I have ever read says to pay any attention to weighing yourself this frequently.  This may make you feel depressed or discouraged, and give you a reason to quit.  They advocate a weekly weigh-in, at the most.

So, why do I advocate subjecting myself to this reminder of my weight issues on a day-to-day basis?

FOR EXACTLY THAT REASON!  TO REMIND MYSELF RIGHT NOW!

When I gain even a half-pound today compared to yesterday, it makes me in-tune to my choices on a daily, not weekly basis.  I think: "Hmmmm, maybe that cookie or glass of wine last night or missing my workout MAY be affecting my fitness plan, even if only a trivial amount."  or "Maybe I should consider MAKING an extra 15 minutes in my day to extend tonight's workout." or "Maybe missing Boot Camp this week is NOT an option."  (Even though I have been working hard after all and "deserve" a break, don't I?)

We are all adults here.  The possibility of a little bad news that might make me dread the weekly weigh-in is not on my radar.  I want to know CONSTANTLY that anything I do will have consequences.  Do I beat myself up when I do gain a pound?  No.  A little bad news just makes me keep positive thoughts about any future action I should be taking, both short-term and long-term.  And I know it sure will influence my choices TODAY.

My progress so far:

Day 30
19.6 pounds lost (9.22% of total body weight)
13 pounds to lose before start of distance training
163.25 miles toward 1,000 mile goal
41.5 hours in the gym

(Saturday's upcoming weigh-in weight might not be this good since that is done fully-clothed.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home