Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Sadistic Track Coach is Back!

In my own personal tribute to the Boston Marathon victims, I logged two marathons worth of miles last week, over 52 miles altogether.  But this was only brisk walking, about two hours a night Monday through Friday.  As mentioned in an earlier blog, I decided to snuggle into a comfortable fat-burning mode by walking on the treadmill in lieu of my running, because I felt too heavy to run well, at least as well as I expect.

This week, after losing a few pounds, I felt better.  What a bittersweet situation, because today, I ran into my sadistic track coach.  I saw him in the mirror again.

Needless to say, he looked me over.  He saw some possibilities.  He made me work.  He made me work hard.  Really hard.  Over 11 miles - 6 of which was running.  Intervals of 3 miles plus other runs of two miles and one mile.  I haven't done a 3 mile run since Reagan was president!

After two hours, I was exhausted.  My T-shirt was soaked with sweat.  But my sadistic track coach made me believe tonight that I can run a 10K right now.  Perhaps a half marathon eventually.  Maybe more.

I have a love-hate relationship with my sadistic track coach.  I silently told him when that I saw him in the mirror of the car driving home from the gym.  But I am a lot better off tonight than I was before I ran into him earlier today.

Looks like he may be here to stay
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home