Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Plugging Along

Monday's assessment at the Lake County General Health District went well.  After hovering around 24% body fat since late March, I dropped more than 2 percentage points to 21.6%.  That's a good sign since it is mid-range of what is commonly accepted as "average".

A lot of that stall can be attributed to false readings on the fat measuring device.  I had been told that failure to hydrate properly can produce inaccurate readings.  All of my life, getting into the habit of drinking water all day has been a problem.  Lately, I have made a concerted effort to hydrate better.

Now, I guess I just plug along until the end of the contest and not change a thing.  Only a few more goals remain:

1) Finish up my 1,000 miles of roadwork
2) Reach a normal BMI
3) Post a decent time in the Johnnycake Jog

The 1,000 mile roadwork goal is easiest since I only have about 125 miles to go.  That is an average of about 3 and 1/2 miles a day and I typically do double that.  I expect to reach this goal in just over two weeks, at least two weeks ahead of schedule.

A normal BMI is well within reach.  I need to lose about 8 more pounds by the end of the contest.  My doctor will be impressed, assuming she even recognizes me anymore.

Posting a decent time in the Johnnycake Jog remains to be seen since I have not entered an organized race in over 30 years.

Based on my training so far, I "expect" to break 45 minutes and "hope" to break 40 minutes, should everything go really well.  If the race went "really, really well", I would finish in the top 5 of my age group and in the top 250 overall.  Those may be lofty goals for an old, has-been runner that wasn't ever all that good, even in his prime.

Presumably, running an hour straight when I do training workouts has built up more than enough of the endurance I will need.  The big unknown here is the potential for brutally-hot race conditions.  If necessary, with only about a mile to go, making a quick stop at the Harry Buffalo for a tall, cold one should only add 5 or 10 minutes to my overall time.  Burning off those extra few hundred calories should be easy.  Finding the finish line may not be so easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home