Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Squeezing Water Out of a Rock

The longer this contest progresses, the harder the weight loss.  And I don't mean simply hard.  I mean crazy difficult ridiculous nearly-impossible hard.

The best analogy that comes to mind is that it's like squeezing water out of a rock.

Most of the time, everything is being done right, and to extremes.  I adhere to a pretty strict diet, same as I have throughout this contest.  No alcohol anymore, either - at least until the contest ends.

I run an hour each day, unless my knee or ankles bother me.  In that case, I walk between 7 and 10 miles to keep my cardio burn going and my legs strong.

I should weigh 110 pounds by now, it would seem.  Instead, I go through lengthy stretches of plateaus.  This is the longest one yet.  No weight loss for a while, then somehow, something does fall off, but a lot less than I expect.  A pound, maybe two.  It certainly ain't like February anymore as far as the scale is concerned.

After as much weight as I have lost so far, I probably should not complain.  I guess it is just the frustration of working so hard and practically being able to predict the results every week.  But now, the weekly results are not so predictable, even though the work and diet remain about the same.

I need to focus on only a few last goals and perhaps bump up the intensity of my workouts.  Maybe run faster or work in a few longer runs.  My most immediate goal is reaching a "normal" BMI of under 25.

Let's see what Cori measures up today at my assessment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home