Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kick in the Pants

I can never say enough about the resources available to us through participation in this contest.

The encouragement, the free healthy meals from Cabanas, the health department assessments, Laura's tireless work and frequent emails reminding us of what we need to do, plus the free Y membership, are only a few.

I love the blogs.  Writing my own blog keeps me focused on my fitness goals.  Reading the blogs of others describing their triumphs is inspiring.  Reading about their trials and tribulations serves to give me an occasional kick in the pants.  The variety of problems others have that are common with my own problems helps me tweak my lifestyle to avoid falling into the typical traps.  Making better food choices while traveling is one example I learned from the blogs of others.

A blog by Ken about the sabotage to our diets caused by alcohol booted me in the pants just a few days ago.

As consistent and perhaps strict as my diet and exercise routine has been for the past 20 weeks, my only regular reward has been a daily glass or two of wine.  The problem is that some days, usually the weekends, there is too much idle time.  This is especially true when my workout is completed by 8 am and my chores are completed by noon.

What does this mean?  All day is left with plenty of energy to use on nothing but "relaxing".  Happy Hour begins at noon!  I deserve it, don't I?  I just ran seven miles this morning, so what's the problem?

The last weigh-in did not produce particularly bad results.  Although I may deserve a reward, why do I really need to feel obliged to take it?  What sense does it make to work so hard, then give a lot of that hard work back gradually at 150 empty calories a glass for every adult beverage I gulp down?

I would rather have any extra 150 calories of salmon or beef.

After the contest is over, during "maintenance mode" may be a different story, but not right now.  We are heading into the homestretch and the finish line is within sight.  There is not enough room or time to build a bar between where I am right now and that finish line.  Unless it is a salad bar.  Did I say hold the cheese and croutons and bring the dressing on the side?

Thanks, Ken, for the latest kick in the pants.  I needed one to keep on track with my goals.  There are only a few goals left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home