Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Flat and Happy

The weight loss graph I set up in Vitabot at the start of the contest is looking a little flat lately,  Not like the first three months which resembled the stock market in 2008 - dropping like a rock.  In a weight loss contest, that is a good thing, but not for my 401k.

If that current graph were an EKG, I would be dead.

Although I never stop watching my diet, even for a day, how I handle what I eat is a lot less strict now.  I need lots of calories to fuel my workouts.  So I consume chicken wings, french fries, and beer.  No, no, and definitely no.  But a person can wish.

What I mean is that I still eat healthy, but just more of the good things.  Especially after a long workout, I treat myself to a lot more protein (READ: skinless, boneless chicken, steaks, eggs, and dairy).  A little less attention is paid to portion control.  (Emphasis on the words "little less").

I try to follow the 40-30-30 rule for everything including snacks.  That is 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% fat.  Healthy fats, if at all possible.  Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO in Rachael Ray terminology), avocados, Omega 3's, and all-natural peanut butter, to name a few.

This probably explains why my weight loss has been flat over the past two weeks, but I am not complaining.  I run an hour every day, with enough energy left to do all my mundane daily chores, like changing the TV channel and writing these blogs.  And I really do look forward to my daily runs.  It must be the old runner in me, rusty wheels and all.

I like what I see in the mirror and often punch new notches in my belts.  And the holes are punched moving in the right direction now.  I am also wearing clothes from the very back of the closet, just this side of the Cleveland Indians 1948 World Series Champs T-shirts and the leisure suits.

With that thought, maybe I don't want to lose any more weight after all.  My Dockers fit fine, thank you.

See you all at the Y!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home