Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Deal with the Devil Can Be a Sure Bet

This contest started when I was of the ripe-old age of 20,138 days.  Although the metabolism slowed and bad habits peaked at the age of 9,131 days, I think I took a turn for the worst at 10,957 days of age.  Coincidentally, Miller Brewing stock was at an all-time high on that day.  And the turn for the worst may have included bratwurst.

Why all of these silly references to "days" when we usually use years as a unit of time?  Easy.

My entry into this contest was based on the premise of spending just 190 days, the length of time that this contest lasts, to turn myself around - big time.  Erase all those years of sins in a relatively few days, no matter what it takes.  I was finally sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Whatever I gotta do, count me in.

At 100 days into this contest, I reached a point that is unfathomable.  I lost almost 43 pounds - over 20% of my total body weight.  My blood pressure is 105/65.  My rest pulse is under 50.

How did I do all this?

I made a deal with the devil, or a bet for that matter.  Sticking to a strict diet and logging over 600 miles on the treadmill, sidewalks of Mentor, and the concourses of the Great Lakes Mall, I was off to a good start.

Those two simple, but strict things, diet and exercise, resulted in reaching a milestone Tuesday that I haven't done for at least 9,131 days.  I ran for an hour straight.  A 6.5 mile run, more than a 10K race, without stopping or changing pace.  No area of my T-shirt, not even as large as a postage stamp was dry.  Could have been faster, but I'll take it.  The speed will come with time, training and a few more pounds shed.  I have three months left to get faster (or as Leah calls it in her blog, "tone up").

Who wouldn't make a bet like this, even with the devil, when the results are potentially so remarkable?  By my calculations, dividing up the days I invested in myself compared to the days I got in the bad shape I was in made this a bet of 100 to 1 odds in the favor of bettering myself.

With hard work on my side, the devil didn't stand a chance.

Credit needs to go to Laura for organizing everything, Jaime's book and Boot Camps, Cabanas' push toward healthy food choices, Cori's nutritional help, Ron Graham's health tips and answers to my never-ending questions, and a good pair of running shoes, professionally fitted from Second Sole, of course.

On a closing note, thank you to all who called me"skinny" at the weigh-in on Saturday.  Your kind words are truly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home