Blogs > Lighten Up With Jim

55-year-old James Horejs, of Mentor, is a contestant in The News-Herald's Lighten Up in 2013.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Road Races

Since I have been doing some running lately, it is now time for some fun and some new T-shirts.  Time to start entering some road races.  The Johnnycake Jog on July 21st will likely be my first.  After researching past race results, I have set some lofty goals for that race already:

First, I "think" I can finish in the top 250.  That would take a time of just under 40 minutes or about an 8-minute mile pace.

Second, if I can reach that goal and improve upon it a bit, another goal would also be within reach.  That would be to break into the top 10 finishers of my age group.  (That age group would be "55-59 years old", not "Deceased")

Third, and strictly for bragging rights, I would like to finish the race as the fastest "Lighten Up Contestant".  (That is not an official category)

I'm not sure about the men, but I know at least a few of the girls will be in the race, so I thought about setting up a friendly bet.  I pondered over the stakes and a fair handicap before posing the challenge.

Then, I heard fifes and drums playing "Yankee Doodle".  I realized we are in America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.  Where deer and antelope play.  With that thought, the principle of "Equality" came to mind, the cornerstone of what this Great Nation was founded upon.

Consequently, any bets with the girls (or guys, should any of them enter) will be based on straight-up time.  One against the other.  No spot.  No handicap.

All this has nothing to do with gender, either.  I realized that I should get a handicap from the girls.  I am old enough to be their father.  And I have the aching muscles and creaky knees to prove that.

Now with the way karma works, watch me break one (or both) of my legs before the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home